What is Non Surgical Spinal Decompression?
At Memphis Chiropractic Neurology, we offer Non Surgical Spinal Decompression. It is a type of motorized traction applied to the spine which involves stretching the spine, with the goal of relieving back pain, neck pain, and/or leg pain.
Several benefits include:
- Creating a negative intradiscal pressure(pressure within the disc itself) to promote retraction or repositioning of the herniated or bulging disc material.
- Creating a lower pressure in the disc that will cause an increase of water, oxygen, and nutrient-rich fluids into the discs so they can heal.
This procedure is called nonsurgical decompression therapy (as opposed to surgical spinal decompression, such as laminectomy and microdiscectomy).
Are you a Candidate?
Decompression is often recommended as a treatment alternative for many types of lower back pain, sciatica(leg pain), or neck pain caused by a herniated disc, bulging disc, or degenerated disc. Those patients not wanting to have surgery with the aforementioned symptoms are excellent candidates. In addition, the cost of decompression is just a fraction of the cost of surgery without the risks.
Spinal Decompression Session
During spinal decompression for the low back (lumbar spine), patients remain clothed and lie on a motorized table, the lower half of which can move.
- A harness is placed around the hips and is attached to the lower table near the feet.
- The upper part of the table remains in a fixed position while the lower part, to which the patient is harnessed, slides back and forth to provide the traction and relaxation.
One difference between various decompression therapies is the patient’s position on the table:
- Some devices place the patient in the prone position on the table, lying face down
- Some devices have the patient lying supine, face up
The patient should not feel pain during or after the decompression therapy although they should feel stretch in the spine.
How Do I get Started?
If you are still unsure if decompression is for you or you have questions, please call our Cordova office at 901-752-4300 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Hogan. At Memphis Chiropractic Neurology, we have seen numerous patients gain not only movement back but their life back with this non surgical therapy.